During L’Hom Strom the corn dolly is usually burned to signal the end of winter, and is a great time to burn your old corn dolly to rid yourself of negative emotions and auras. This happens the first Saturday in February. This is essentially a cleansing ritual and you can take this and modify how ever you want.
What you’ll need:
- 1) white candle
- 1) corn dolly (click to learn how to make corn dolly)
- 1) fireproof dish
- cleansing herbal mix (one part salt, one part sage, one part sticky burrs, one part sand)
- 1) list of irritations and annoyances (cut them in little strips)
- Take your candle and charge it with your intentions. This is a great time to rid yourself or bad energies, auras, annoyances, so as you charge your candle see yourself happy and free with no negative emotions.
- Light the candle. Meditate on all the negativity leaving your life as goodness flows in.
- Tuck each annoyance into your corn dolly.
- Place the dolly in your fire safe dish and set it a flame.
- As the dolly burns say the following or something similar that you have written for the ritual :
“Winter end and negativity removed
I leave discomfort behind with nothing to prove;
Merry Meet joy and laughter
With new warmth, happily ever after”
Throw a handful of the mix into the fire and end the ritual “As I will it so mote it be”
When the corn dolly has burnt out bury the ashes as an offering to the earth. You can bury anywhere, or release the ashes into a flowing spring or natural waters. I release my dolly’s ashes in natural water as I imagine all the negativity flowing down the stream and away from me.